Quick Link 
(Click on the sections underlined below to go
 directly to that section and to return use the scroll bar)

Financial Information for B.C. Cancer Patients
(taken from the BC Cancer Agency Information)

This Information was gathered in 2007 and some of the information may be outdated.

For those newly diagnosed please call your local Canadian Cancer Society ASAP upon diagnosis to help with travel costs, prescriptions, etc.  Also, those persons between the ages of 18 and 65 and who have enough contributions at the time of your diagnosis can apply for Canada Pension Plan Disability for you and there is also additional compensation for your school age children.

What If You Need to Stop Working?

Employer Benefits
Employment Insurance (EI) - Sickness Benefits
Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPP Disability) Eligibility & Coverage
Compassionate Care Benefits – Employment Insurance (EI) for Family Members
Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS):
Ministry of Employment & Income Assistance
            Regular Benefits
            Person with Persistent Multiple Barriers (PPMD)
            Persons with Disabilities (PWD)
Life Insurance Policies
Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)

What If You Need Help Getting Medical Costs Covered?

1.Prescription Costs
Extended Health Plan
Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance
Palliative Benefits Program
Canadian Cancer Society (CCS)
Special Authority Drugs

2.General Medical Costs

Medical Services Plan (MSP)
Premium Assistance
Regular Premium Assistance
Temporary Premium Assistance
Extended Health Plan
Tax Deductions for Medical Costs
Royal Canadian Benevolent Fund
Community Associations and Groups
First Nations Health
Ostomy supplies and prosthetic appliances
Nutritional Supplements (e.g. Boost, Ensure)
Ambulance Costs
Home Aids

How Do I Cover Other Costs?

Mortgage, Car Insurance and Credit Card Insurance
Tax Deductions for Medical Costs

Where Do I Stay If I Need Cancer Treatment Away From Home?

Canadian Cancer Society Accommodations
Other Accommodations
Accommodation Costs

Housing-Related Costs
Safer Program
Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP)
Property Tax Deferment Program
Low Cost Rental Housing
Home Owner Grant

Where Do You Get Support At Home for You and Your Family?

Homecare & Continuing Care

How Do I Get My Treatment?

Volunteer Drivers
Bus Passes
Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority Translink
Travel Assistance Program (TAP)
Air Travel
Other Sources of Help for Travel

Car Expenses

Car Insurance Discounts
Fuel Tax Rebate for Persons with Disabilities – Ministry of Provincial Revenue
Parking Permits for People with Disabilities

Disability Resource Centre

Important Contact Numbers

HomeOur StoriesFinancial InfoPreventionSecretsCancer News
SymptomsNutritionAttitudeTotes for CancerSlo Pitch for HopeContact Us
Orchard BarnHandy FormsLinksMemory Wall

Help for B.C. Cancer Patients
Financial Information for Cancer Patients
(taken from the BC Cancer Agency Information)

What If You Need to Stop Working?

If you are unable to work, due to cancer or cancer treatment, the following programs may provide you with income replacement options.

Employer Benefits
-Ask your employer about optional benefits that may be available at your work, such as Short
Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Sick Leave and Vacation Days.

Employment Insurance (EI) – Sickness Benefits

Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSD)

-If you are employed, but not able to work for medical reasons, you may be eligible for benefits
through EI sickness benefits.

Eligibility and Coverage:

-For people who are unable to work because of sickness.  In BC, 1st time applicants, need 900
insured hours (call office or contact website for more details).
-Sick benefits can be paid for up to 15 weeks.
-Duration of regular benefits may depend on unemployment rate of the region.
-Payment is usually made within 28 days.
-A medical certificate telling how long the illness is expected to last must be provided.
-Apply at the nearby Human Resources and Social Development Canada office in your area. 
Phone toll free 1-800-206-7218 – www.sdc.gc.ca

For detailed information on sickness benefits, check out the following website:  www.sdc.gc.ca/en/ei/types/special.shtml

Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPP Disability)
Eligibility and Coverage:

-Between the ages of 18 and 65 and have enough Canada Pension Plan contributions at the
time of disability (i.e. have contributed to C.P.P. in the last 4 out of 6 years).  Phone toll free
number with S.I.N. number handy to inquire about status.

-Experiencing severe and prolonged disability (according to the Canada Pension definitions).

-Must have acquired disability before, or within, six months after your Canada Pension Plan
retirement pension started if you are between 60 and 65 years of age; and the disability must be
a physical or mental impairment that is both severe and prolonged simultaneously.  “Severe”
means that you are unable to regularly carry out any gainful employment.  “Prolonged” means
that the disability is likely to be of indefinite duration or is likely to result in death.

-Children could be eligible for a disabled contributor’s Childs Benefit if you receive a disability 
benefit (children must be under 18, or if age 18-25, in full-time school attendance).

-Pension may start 4 months after CPP has approved disability status.

-Some payments may be available to cover delay period in application processing time.

-If disability benefits are denied, applicants have 90 days (from the receipt of letter) to notify
CPP of intent to appeal.

-Application needs to be made in writing.  Contact the HRSD or visit their website for an
application kit.  Application may be back-dated up to a year.

Canada Pension Plan Disability
Human Resources Social Development Canada
1260 Government Street
Victoria, B.C.  V8W 3M4

Phone English 1-800-277-9914
Phone French1-800-277-9915

For detailed information on CPP Disability benefits, check out the following website:


Compassionate Care Benefits – Employment Insurance (EI) for Family Members

Human Resources & Social Development Canada

-Eligibility and Coverage:  Individuals who meet eligibility requirements for EI special benefit and
have served 2 week long waiting period, may be entitled to an 8 week EI Compassionate Leave
Benefit to care for a gravely ill family member.  The leave can be shared amongst caregivers
(e.g. 3 family members each have 2 weeks of benefit with only the 1st person having to wait the
qualifying period)

Phone Toll freee 1-800-206-7218

For detailed information on Compassionate Care Benefits, check out the following website:


Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS):

-Eligibility is dependent on your income.  If you only receive the Old Age Pension, you may

For more information, contact:
English:  1-800-277-9914
French:  1-800-277-9915
For detailed informatioin on GIS, check out the following website:

Ministry of Employment & Income Assistance

Regular Benefits:

-People who have little or no means of paying living expenses.
-Benefits include monthly support, shelter allowance, medical and prescription costs, and travel
and accommodation costs for medical treatment.
-Need to be financially independent for two years prior to claim (those who are receiving Persons
with Disability are excluded from these criteria).
-Contact your local Employment and Income Assistance Centre for an appointment.
-Your monthly family income, assets, job readiness and/or disability level will determine your
eligibility for assistance.

Person with Persistent Multiple Barriers (PPMD)

-Person must have received social assistance for 12 out of the last 15 months.
-Have severe multiple personal barriers to employment.
-Have a medical condition that has lasted for at least 1 year and likely to continue or reoccur
frequently for at least 2 years.

Persons with Disabilities (PWD)

-Include persons with prolonged disability (e.g. deemed by physician and assessor).
-The disability must be severe (i.e. difficulties with activies day to day life affected).
-The person needs to be on regular income assistance beforehand to be eligible.
-If your medical condition is considered severe enough that you will no longer be able to work
(as determined by your physician/oncologist), notify the Employment and Assistance Worker
of this and request a Persons with Disability application package to begin this application
-For further information, call Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance at:
Phone Enquiry BC:  604-660-2421
Phone Victoria:250-387-6121
Phone Toll Free:1-800-663-7867

-To apply for income assistance (regular benefits, PPMD, or PWD) call:
1-866-866-0800 (press option #3, then option #1) for the “Pre-application” process. 

-If you have no money for food, are at risk of being evicted, or need medication for life-
threatening circumstances, you may be eligible for immediate assistance.

Life Insurance Policies

Contact your insurance company.  It may be possible to have your premiums waived without affecting the policy.  Some policies may allow terminally ill persons to withdraw monies while living.

Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)

-If you are a veteran, you may be eligible for financial help for care and equipment depending on
your coverage.

For more information, contact:
1-866-522-2122 English
1-866-522-2022 Frendh

What If You Need Help Getting Medical Costs Covered?

Your cancer treatment (for example, surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy) is covered through the BC health care system.  However, sometimes you will need additional items like wigs or symptom-management drugs that may not be covered.  Here are some options that may cover additional prescription and general medical costs.

1.Prescription Costs


-Partial reimbursement (e.g. up to 70%) above an annual deductible is available for individuals
registered with MSP through Pharmacare.  Benefits include most medications and designated
permanent prosthetic appliances.
-All applicants must be registered with Fair Pharmacare Program.
Toll free1-800-554-0250
Lower Mainland604-682-6849

Extended Health Plan

This is optional coverage that may be offered by your employer.  Your extended health plan
 may cover some expenses such as ambulance, prescription medication, equipment or home oxygen costs.

Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance

If you receive income assistance, your prescriptions will likely be covered through Pharmacare “Plan C”.  Speak to your Financial Aid Worker for further information.

Palliative Benefits Program

If you need help for end of life care (i.e. with a projected life-expectancy of 6 months or less by your physician), you can ask your doctor to assess your eligibility for this program (e.e., medication, medical supplies and equipment).

B.C. Palliative Benefits Program
B.C. Ministry of Health
Toll free 1-800-465-4911

Person must be covered by B.C. Medical Services Plan (MSP).

For detailed information, check the following website:

Canadian Cancer Society (CCS)

-Emergency Aid Program provides limited, short-term financial assistance for treatment-related items (transportation, accommodation and symptom management drugs).  Applicants’ incomes are assessed for eligibility.
-Assistance for drug coverage is re-assessed yearly.
-Contact your local Canadian Cancer Society for the services they provide in your community.  Look in your phone book for the local number, or call toll free 1-888-939-3333.
Canadian Cancer Society
Cranbrook, B.C.250-426-8916

**Contact the Canadian Cancer Society in your area as soon as possible after being diagnosed, because they will not cover any expenses previous to when you apply (retro-active).  As noted, they also have an application form through the B.C. Cancer Agency where they may cover a portion of your out-of-pocket prescription costs, dependent on your income (they will assess you for income restrictions).
Also, please be aware, that they may want you to stay in their Cancer Lodge facilities, but if you have your spouse with you or a companion, it may cost you more than motels in the area that will give you a reduction in cost for having cancer treatments.  However, if you are by yourself they may cover your entire stay and your meals are included.
In Kelowna, B.C. we were able to stay at the Siesta Motel which was only 1 mile away from the hospital and Cancer Treatment Center and had lovely 1 bedroom suites for $45.00 a night compared to the $150.00 it was going to cost us a night at the Cancer Lodge because my husband and son were with me.  The emergency funding through the Canadian Cancer Society will only cover the patients stay and not any other family member.  Also we learned, after it was too late and my treatments were over, that the Cancer Center did have a free apartment that someone had provided for patients and their families to stay while they were going through treatment at the centre.  Check with the Cancer Treatment Center to see if they have any information on motels and reduced rate apartments as there were several other hotels and motels as well that offered quite a reduction in rates.

Special Authority Drugs

There are certain drugs that may be covered through special programs through the drug companies, or through “special authorization” from your cancer doctor.  Ask your cancer care team about these drugs.

2.General Medical Costs

Medical Services Plan (MSP)

-MSP offers medical coverage to all residents of B.C. for a fee.
-Coverage is subject to application and the payment of any required premiums.
-MSP pays for medically required services of physicians and surgeons, for dental surgery (when
performed in a hospital) and cost of hospital stay.

Premium Assistance:
Persons eligible for MSP regular premium assistance are Canadian citizens or landed
immigrants with low incomes who have lived in Canada for the last 12 months.

Regular Premium Assistance:
This is based on net income for the previous year, less deductions for family size, age and

Temporary Premium Assistance:
This may be available to persons who are unable to pay their premiums because of unexpected
financial hardship and who do not qualify for Regular Premium Assistance based on their
previous year’s income.  Temporary Premium Assistance is granted for 6 months only.

If you are eligible for premium assistance, your Pharmacare deductible may change to give 100% reimbursement for prescription drugs after deductible providing Pharmacare is notified.

Medical Services Plan 
1515 Blanshard Street
Victoria, B.C.
V8W 9E3

Victoria 250-386-7171
Elsewhere in B.C. (Toll Free)1-888-788-4357
Or 1-800-663-7100

Extended Health Plan

This is optional coverage that may be offered by your employer.  Your extended health plan may cover some expenses such as ambulance, prescription, medication, equipment or home oxygen costs.

Tax Deductions for Medical Costs

Some medical expenses may be claimed as a tax deduction (e.g. prescription, accommodation and travel costs).  Disability tax credits are also available for those eligible.  Check with your tax office for a copy of Medical Expenses and Disability Tax Credits.

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency

Royal Canadian Benevolent Fund

You may be eligible for financial assistance if you served in one of the following capacities:

-Naval Forces prior to 1968
-Canadian Merchant Navy during WWII
-A member with Canadian Forces with service in the Maritime Command
-Had a Navy or Sea Element rank designation
-The dependent of someone who served in one of the above areas.
-This fund can provide an interest free loan or grant, but does not provide ongoing financial

Phone toll free1-888-557-8777

Community Associations and Groups

As a member of various associations and community groups, you may be able to access financial support during illness (e.g. service groups, churches, etc.).

First Nations Health:

-If you are a First Nation’s person, you may be eligible for help for medical expenses.  Contact
your band Community Health office.
-You may also call Health Canada First Nations Branch 1-800-317-7878 (Vancouver) to clarify
whether a drug is covered, but you need the Drug Information Number (DIN) from the
-For exceptional drugs, your pharmacist can contact the First Nations Drug Exception Centre 
1-800-580-0950 (Ottawa) to discuss what drugs are covered.

Ostomy supplies and prosthetic appliances

Check with Pharmacare and extended health benefit plans regarding eligibility for reimbursement.  Prosthetic appliances must be permanent and designated.

Nutritional Supplements (e.g. Boost, Ensure)

Assistance may be available through your extended health benefit plan.  If you are on income assistance, ask your worker about available benefits.


Donated wigs and hats are available, at no cost, through the Canadian Cancer Society.

Call Toll Free1-800-939-3333
Port Alberni250-724-2912
Qualicum Beach250-752-3222
Campbell River250-286-1955
Creston     We have a few blonde wigs that were donated to us by the
Creston Valley Gleaners for anyone wishing to use them. 
Please contact me at (250)428-2470.  If anyone has any wigs
they would like to donate, please call us as well. 

If you wish to purchase a wig, check with your extended health benefit plan for reimbursement.  A prescription from your physician will help document your claim.  MSP does not cover wigs.

Ambulance Costs

-Individuals are responsible for ambulance costs except when one is going from Hospital A to
Hospital B and then back to Hospital A for tests and/or treatment in a 24 hour period.
-Check with your extended health benefit plan for assistance.
-Ambulance charges may be waived if you are on “Premium Assistance” through MSP.  Indicate
on your bill that you are on Premium Assistance and return it to the address provided.
-Contact Ambulance Billing Enquiries
oToll Free1-800-665-7199

Home Aids

-Contact the Red Cross Loans Cupboard in your community.  Medical equipment loans for up to
three months are available.  A note from your physician may be needed.

Regional Red Cross Contact Information:
Vancouver IslandToll Free 1-800-661-9055
Lower Mainland Toll Free1-800-565-8000
KootenayToll Free1-800-761-0099
Northern B.C./YukonToll Free1-800-278-7177

-Hospice Programs in your community may loan medical equipment to palliative care patients.
-If you are registered with the Palliative Benefits Program, cost of home aids may be covered.

How Do I Cover Other Costs?

Mortgage, Car Insurance and Credit Card Insurance
Check with the lending institution to explore whether you have disability coverage with your creditor.

Tax Deductions for Medical Costs
Some medical expenses may be claimed as a tax deduction (e.g. prescription, accommodation and travel costs).  Disability tax credits are also available for those eligible.  Check with your tax office for a copy of Medical Expenses and Disability Tax Credits.

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency

Where Do I Stay If I Need Cancer Treatment Away From Home?

Sometimes the specific cancer treatment you need may not be available in your home town.  Here are some options for accommodations when you are away from home for treatment.  Also listed are other programs that may provide financial assistance or reduced costs as they apply to housing.

Canadian Cancer Society Accommodations

Cancer Lodges run by the Canadian Cancer Society provide accommodation at a modest rate for out of town patients and their families who need to be close to a Cancer Centre for treatment or tests.  A 24-hour nurse supervisor is available and meals are included in the cost.  However, be advised that if you are receiving emergency funding from the Canadian Cancer Society you have to stay at the Cancer Lodge to be covered for accommodation and they only pay for the patient and not the family member, so you may be able to find cheaper accommodations off-site as I did.  However, if you are alone or having extreme side effects from your treatments you may want to take advantage of staying at the Cancer Lodge.  The Cancer Lodge in Kelowna is right next door to the Cancer Treatment Centre and hospital.

Jean C. Barber Lodge
575 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C.  V5Z 4C3
Phone:  604-879-9131

Vancouver Island Lodge
2202 Richmond Avenue
Victoria, B.C.  V8R 4R5

Southern Interior Rotary Lodge
2251 Abbott Street
Kelowna, B.C.  V1Y 1E2
Phone:  250-712-2203

Other Accommodations

For information about other accommodation near the Cancer Centres, contact Patient and Family Counselling Services at the B.C. Cancer Agency.  Contact numbers for the Cancer Centres are at the end of this information.

Accommodation Costs

-Assistance may be available through your extended health benefits plan through your
employer, or through private insurance coverage.
-If you receive income assistance through Ministry of Employment & Income Assistance,
contact your Financial Assistance worker for more information.
-People with limited finances may apply to the Canadian Cancer Society, through the
Emergency Aid Program.  This assistance is available for up to one year.

Phone Toll free 1-888-939-3333
Victoria       250-592.2244

Housing-Related Costs

Safer Program
-Individuals who are 60+ years old and have resided in B.C. for one year and pay 30% of their
income in rent, may be eligible for a rent subsidy.
-Contact the B.C. Housing Management Commission:

Head Office Toll free1-800-257-7756

Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP)
-The RRAP program through the Federal Government provides financial help for individuals
whose home or apartment needs modifications to improve accessibility to the disabled.
-Contact the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
Toll Free 1-800-639-3938

Property Tax Deferment Program
-People with disabilities as defined by the Disability Benefits Program Act (or those 60+, or
those who are widowed spouses) may be allowed to defer the payment of their property taxes
until their home is sold.  A preferential interest rate applies to the deferred taxes.
-Call Enquiry B.C. for further information:
Elsewhere in B.C.1-800-663-7867

Low Cost Rental Housing
Subsidized housing may be available for families, individuals with disabilities and senior citizens.  Check in your community to see what is available (e.g. B.C. Housing, Capital Region Housing Corporation, Societies and churches may be sources of housing contacts).  There may be waiting lists.

Home Owner Grant
If you are a property owner and are physically disabled or have a handicapped relative residing permanently with you, you may be eligible for a Provincial Home Owner Grant.  Contact your municipal hall.

Home Owner Grant Administration Branch
(B.C. Ministry of Provincial Revenue)

Where Do You Get Support At Home for You and Your Family?

Sometimes people are no longer able to take care of their daily living tasks, like bathing yourself or caring for your children.  Here are some options that may be useful in this area.

Homecare & Continuing Care

-Check with your extended health benefit plan to see what services are covered.
-Contact your Regional Health Authority or closest Public Health Unit to speak to someone
about the Home and Community Care Program.  You will likely have a financial assessment to
determine costs.  The cost of homemakers providing personal care (e.g. bathing, grooming,
etc) may be subsidized.  Housekeeping tasks, such as cooking and cleaning are not covered.

Fraser Health Authority 1-877-370-8699
Interior Health Authority250-862-4200
Northern Health Authority1-866-565-2999
Vancouver Coastal Health Authority1-866-884-0888
Vancouver Island Health Authority1-888-533-2273

-Home Care Nursing is subsidized by the government.  A doctor’s authorization is needed.

Child Care

A daycare subsidy is available on a sliding income scale.  Further details and applications are available through the Ministry of Employment & Income Assistance.  Ask about the Child Care Subsidy Program:

Vancouver   604-660-2421
Victoria       250-387-6121
Toll free elsewhere in B.C.1-800-663-7867

How Do I Get My Treatment?

Sometimes you might not feel well enough to drive to your cancer-related treatment appointments, and your friends and family may not be available.  Here are some options on how to get to your appointments and information on coverage for transportation costs.

Volunteer Drivers

-Canadian Cancer Society provides volunteer drivers for people receiving treatment or attending
medical appointments, a minimum of 24 hours notice.  Contact your local Canadian Cancer
Society office or call
Toll Free     1-888-939-3333
-Free Mason’s Cancer Care Program provides free transportation for patients in outlying areas.
Contact your local Canadian Cancer Society for more information.
-Community volunteer groups may also provide drivers.

Bus Passes

-Passes are available for seniors receiving Guaranteed Income Supplement, or may be available
to people with disabilities receiving Income Assistance.
-Clients must call the office to apply.  An application will be sent if applicant is determined to be
-Bus Passes cost $45 for the year beginning in January.  The cost is the same, no matter how
many months have passed.
-Contact Ministry of Finance
Toll Free1-888-661-1566
Victoria    250-387-4331

Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority 

If you are a resident of Greater Vancouver and have palliative care needs, you may qualify for one of several public transit assistance programs.  For more information, contact.

Travel Assistance Program (TAP)

-This program through the Ministry of Health offers travel discounts to eligible B.C. residents
who must travel for non-emergency medical service not available in their own community and
whose travel expenses are not covered by third party insurance or other government programs.
-To be eligible, you must be a B.C. resident and be enrolled in the MSP; you must have
physician’s referral for medical services that are not available locally, escorts are also eligible if
traveling with those incapable of independent travel.
-TAP forms are available from your family doctor, or specialist’s office, or a Cancer Centre.
-Call TAP Toll free1-800-661-2668
Victoria   250-952-2657

Program Benefits May Include:

-Harbour Air:  30% discount off regular economy fares on air travel from the Queen Charlottes to
Prince Rupert only.  For more information call Harbour Air at 1-800-665-0212
-       Central Mountain Air Ltd: Call for medical fare - Reservations department. (1-888-865-8585)
-B.C. Rail:  50% discount on regularly scheduled trips.  Please call your closest B.C. Rail
station for information on how to access these fares.
-VIA Rail:  For adults, a 50% discount on regularly scheduled trips.  Contact VIA Rail at 
-B.C. Ferries:  Free passenger fare for patients and their escort and the regular passenger
carfare.  Contact B.C. Ferries at 1-888-223-3779.
-Pacific Coach Lines:  Will deduct the cost of the ferry from the ticket price on travel from
Victoria to Vancouver.  For more information call Pacific Coach Lines 250-385-4411.
-Malaspina Coach Lines:  Will deduct the cost of the ferry from the ticket price on travel from
Powell River to Vancouver.  Call 604-485-5030 for information.

Air Travel:

Contact Patient and Family Counselling Services regarding extraordinary help with air transport.
-Angel Flight of Vancouver Island www.angelflight.ca
-Hope Air www.hopeair.org needs 3 weeks advance notice (Cost $50/return ticket)

Other Sources of Help for Travel:

-Individuals (and spouses if required as medical escort) may be eligible for assistance with
treatment travel costs through their private extended health benefit plans.
-If finances are a concern, contact your local Emergency Aid Program through the Canadian
Cancer Society.  If you are eligible, you may receive financial help for your mileage costs for
treatment if you live out of town.  (No retro-active payment allowed) – call ahead of your
scheduled need.
-People receiving income assistance through Ministry of Employment & Income Assistance
may apply for a Specialized Transportation Subsidy through their work.  This will enable clients
to access transportation costs in lieu of the use of a bus pass.

Car Expenses:

Car Insurance Discounts
-Disability discount for consumers who are the registered vehicle owner (or if you lease the
vehicle), have a permanent disability and are considered handicapped under the Motor Fuel Tax
Act, may be eligible for a 25% discount on basic Autoplan coverage.
-Applicant must have a Motor Fuel Tax claim number when applying for insurance discount.

Fuel Tax Rebate for Persons with Disabilities – Ministry of Provincial Revenue
-Must own or lease a motor vehicle.
-You may apply if you are a person who has been certified by a qualified medical practitioner as
experiencing a permanent impairment of locomotion to such an extent that the use of public
transportation would be hazardous.
-Limit of $400 per year could be claimed.
-Contact Consumer Taxation Branch:
Vancouver    604-660-4524
Toll Free    1-877-388-4440
-Call for eligibility criteria request for application Form XE-8.

Parking Permits for People with Disabilities
-Parking placards enabling people with disabilities to use designated accessible parking spaces
are available.
-Application must be filled out and signed by a physician.
-Permits are available to people with permanent or temporary disabilities that impair mobility;
visitors with mobility impairments, organizations that provide transportation to persons with
mobility impairments.
-Cost for permit:  $15 for temporary, permanent, or organization permits.  Visitor permits are
$25.  $10 refunded upon return of permit.
-Permits are available through:
Social Planning and Research Council of BC (SPARC BC)
Call Collect 604-718-7744

Disability Resource Centre
1519 Pandora Avenue
Victoria, B.C. V8R6P9
Fax:  250-595-1512

Peninsula Senior’s Hotline
2321 Beacon Ave
Sidney, B.C.  V8L1W9

Important Contact Numbers:

B.C. Cancer Agency Patient & Family Counselling Services:
Vancouver1-800-663-3333 or 604-877-6000
Fraser Valley1-800-523-2885 or 604-930-2098
Victoria1-800-670-3322 or 250-519-5525
Kelowna1-888-563-7773 or 250-712-3963
B.C. Cancer Agency Website:  www.bccancer.bc.ca

Canadian Cancer Society – 1-888-939-3333 (Canada)
Fraser Valley1-888-222-2240 or 604-533-1668
Greater Vancouver1-888-229-8288 or 604-253-8470
Interior1-800-403-8222 or 250-762-6381
Kootenay1-800-656-6426 or 250-426-8916
Northern1-800-811-5666 or 250-564-0885
Vancouver Island1-800-663-7892 or 250-592-2244
Yukon Territory(Call collect outside of Whitehorse)

Enquiry B.C. (Provincial Government Programs):
Outside Vancouver1-800-663-7867

Government of Canada (Federal) Programs:
Toll Free1-800-622-6232

Colorectal Cancer Association of Canada – CCAC